Yoon says China would not benefit from trilateral cooperation with Russia, N. Korea
简介President Yoon Suk Yeol has said that China would not benefit from trilateral cooperation with North ...
President Yoon Suk Yeol has said that China would not benefit from trilateral cooperation with North Korea and Russia because the three countries have "divergent interests."
Yoon made the remarks in an interview with The Telegraph, a British daily, published Sunday local time ahead of his state visit to London, stressing that China has an important role in "promoting freedom, peace and prosperity in East Asia."
"China is likely to take into consideration that pursuing trilateral cooperation with North Korea and Russia, which have blatantly violated the UN Charter and Security Council resolutions, as well as other international norms, will not be helpful for its international reputation and standing," Yoon said.
Yoon also expressed concern about military cooperation between North Korea and Russia, labeling it as "a grave violation of UN Security Council resolutions and a provocative act that threatens peace on the Korean Peninsula as well as in Northeast Asia and Europe."
South Korea, the United States and Japan intend to "actively respond" to such cooperation.
"North Korea's provision of weapons to Russia will only prolong the war in Ukraine and increase the number of casualties. In addition, if Russia offers military technologies to North Korea in return, it would threaten the security of the Republic of Korea and regional peace," Yoon said.
The Republic of Korea is South Korea's formal name.
During the interview, Yoon also called for deeper security ties with Britain, saying the world is facing a "polycrisis" of multiple conflicts and threats to humanity, according to the daily.
Yoon also indicated his trip this week would be an opportunity to build relations "in digital and AI technology, cybersecurity, nuclear energy, the defence industry, biohealth, space, semiconductors, offshore wind power, clean energy and maritime affairs."
The four-day state visit to London comes at the invitation of King Charles III.
According to the presidential office, Yoon and first lady Kim Keon Hee will be Britain's first state guests since the king's coronation in May, which it said highlights the special importance London places on its relationship with Seoul.
Yoon also said during the interview that the honoring of South Korea with the first state visit since the coronation of the king signals the importance of the country to Britain as a "strategic partner" in the Indo-Pacific. (Yonhap)
South Korea has initiated a comprehensive examination of scenarios aimed at restoring guard posts in ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장은 지난 13일(현지시간) 러시아를 방문해 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령과 정상회담을 개최했다. 연합뉴스“국제법의 틀 안에서 북·러 관계 발전의 기회를 모색하 ...
HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea swept up two gold medals up for grabs in the archery team competition ...
- [Herald Interview] 'Korea strives to set global standards for data protection in generative AI era'
- S. Korea finishes 3rd with 42 gold medals at Hangzhou Asian Games
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- S. Korea holds rare military parade, warns NK against nuclear attack
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- 홍익표, 체포안 가결파 징계에 “총선 승리 도움 기준으로 판단”
- Kakao risks losing management control of Kakao Bank
- Three bidders vie for major stake in news channel YTN
- [속보] 한국인 163명 이스라엘서 무사히 왔다…서울공항 도착
- [속보] 한국인 163명 이스라엘서 무사히 왔다…서울공항 도착
- Savor the irresistible taste of tteokbokki
- [Herald Interview] Kang Ik
- Four killed after fishing boat capsizes in S. Korea
- Japan returns favor, flies Koreans out of Israel
- [Today’s K
- Emerging artists unveil works of enduring times at Park Seo
- Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
- Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- "가리비 8m 천장까지 쌓였다"…단 한달만에 日 타격 입힌 中
- [Herald Interview] Jung Soo
- Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- [New in Korean] Year 2020 revisited under shadow of disconnection
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive