[Korea Beyond Korea] Berlin, Europe's Korean Studies hub, nurtures next
简介BERLIN -- Right before the winter semester was about to start in Germany, some 10 students gathered ...
BERLIN -- Right before the winter semester was about to start in Germany, some 10 students gathered in a classroom in southwestern Berlin in September.
The students, all top Korean Studies majors from across Europe, were selected by the Institute of Korean Studies at the Free University of Berlin to partake in the annual Korean Competence Week.
The weeklong workshop was created to foster the region’s next generation of Korean experts, which is an area that lacks greatly in numbers, according to Professor Lee Eun-jeung, director of the FUB’s Graduate School of East Asian Studies.
In recent years, Berlin has developed into a hub for Korean Studies in Europe. Today, the capital of Germany is home to one of the most prestigious Korean Studies programs in the world and is also a centerpiece to Korea’s endeavor to foster a deeper understanding of the country’s culture worldwide.
Next generation of Korean experts
The students attending competence week sat in on a round table discussion, listening carefully to the senior adviser at Center for Humanitarian Dialogue, a Switzerland-based organization dedicated to resolving armed conflicts around the world. The lesson of the day was about Sweden’s role in promoting the peace process on the Korean Peninsula.
The students were expected to share their thoughts in a follow-up discussion session.
“Our ultimate goal is to foster Korean experts, so they could work in Europe’s public sectors and global organizations or become envoys to Korea,” Lee said in an interview with The Korea Herald on Sept. 28 in Berlin.
Lee explained that most European diplomats or envoys to Korea in both the past and the present majored in Chinese or Japanese Studies, making them experts on those countries, but not experts on Korea.
“We’re trying to change that,” she said.
To become experts, students are required to dive into the rigorous process of earning both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Korean Studies and sometimes pursue a doctorate.
The Moroccan Embassy emphasized the significance of administrative autonomy as a catalyst for develo ...
“12.12: The Day,” a political drama revisiting a military-led coup that took place in 1979, has attr ...
Unskilled foreign workers will be allowed to work in restaurants across South Korea starting next ye ...
- LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
- KB chief vows to nurture AI talents
- [Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
- Speculation grows over Yoon's looming Cabinet shakeup
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean studies in Turkey grows on foundation of strong relations
- Partial list of artists to perform at 2023 MAMA Awards unveiled
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- 4 North Koreans cross maritime border, say want to defect
- 한·사우디 43년 만의 공동성명 “방산·네옴시티 협력 강화”
- Hyundai Motor partners with IUCN for forest project in Vietnam
- [From the Scene] Don't remember Itaewon alley as place of death, victims' families say
- Maestro Semyon Bychkov breaks silence on Israel–Hamas war
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot
- 4 North Koreans cross East Sea maritime border in first since 2019
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- Art Token launches Hangeul
- Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- [From the scene] Eye
- Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- 尹대통령 지지율, 1.1%p 내린 38.9% [알앤써치]
- [Weekender] Waiting on the North: Unified Korean dictionary project's long journey
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- 사전투표 D
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- LG Electronics ups Q3 earnings guidance on upbeat demand
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- Disney+’s ‘Moving’ sweeps BIFF’s Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards
- Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
- YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30