Unification minister meets US civic group head to discuss NK human rights
简介South Korean Unification Minister Kim Yung-ho met with the leader of a US-based civic group Monday t ...
South Korean Unification Minister Kim Yung-ho met with the leader of a US-based civic group Monday to discuss ways of boosting cooperation on the improvement of human rights in North Korea, his office said.
During the meeting, Kim and Thor Halvorssen Mendoza, chief of the Human Rights Foundation, expressed concerns about China's recent forcible repatriation of North Korean defectors and shared the need for the international community to work more closely to prevent such moves, according to the Ministry of Unification.
Earlier this month, human rights advocacy groups in South Korea claimed that China forcibly sent back around 600 North Korean defectors detained in the provinces of Jilin and Liaoning.
The ministry then confirmed that a "large number" of North Korean residents were repatriated, without specifying the figure.
The HRF chief said his organization is planning to hold its annual international Oslo Freedom Forum on human rights promotion in many locations in Asia as part of efforts to let more people know of the North Korean rights issues, the ministry added.
The conference is held in Oslo on an annual basis, with satellite events having been held mostly in the US, according to the group.
Hyundai Elevator has joined hands with Erbud, the third-largest constructor in Poland, to cooperate ...
The legal battle between the K-pop girl group Fifty Fifty and its agency Attrakt continues to intens ...
The National Museum of Korea has designated six museums in five countries for the Overseas Korean Ga ...
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- Conflict between Fifty Fifty and agency Attrakt continues to escalate
- 尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
- Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
- Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
- SPC Chairman's office searched over alleged unjust labor practices
- 신원식 “나도 육군이지만, 합참의장은 해군 시켜야”
- Han Kang's 'I Do Not Bid Farewell' shortlisted for two French literary awards
- US needs 'strategic clarity' on North Korea deterrence: report
- 황교안 "유승민·이준석 자리만 차지…통합, 잡탕밥 돼선 안돼"
- Yoon, Kishida receive JFK award for mending stalled ties
- 尹 “연금안 맹탕? 근거·합의 없이 숫자로만 결론 낼 수 없다”
- Major retailer recalls over 50,000 pairs of shower shoes due to chemical hazard
- Posco faces first
- US, China agree to work towards Biden
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- Kia unveils ‘tiger
- 北고려항공, 베이징으로 주 3회 비행…정기 운항 복귀 한 듯
- S. Korean military detects signs of NK supplying ballistic missiles to Russia
- Asiana Airlines to sell cargo biz to smooth merger
- US Fed keeps key lending rate unchanged for second consecutive time
- [Herald Interview] Merck seeks growth with Korean chipmakers
- [긴급진단] 서울 인구 이미 부산의 3배…지역균형발전 포기할 텐가
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- Viviz goes all out for 4th EP ‘Versus’
- The branch of South Korean left blaming Israel for Hamas attacks
- Jungkook, Red Velvet, Stray Kids, new YG girl group among year
- ‘It’s OK to put fried chicken, ramen on jesa table’
- Jungkook welcomes 'golden moment' of his life with 1st solo album
- English chatbot services to be available for public bike users
- Solo Korean trekker found dead in Himalayas
- Supreme Court acquits ex
- Exports log first rise in 13 months in sign of trade recovery for Korea
- Police turn to AI to predict crimes, drug tracking
- Paris Baguette inks sponsorship deal with Paris Saint