NCSoft to tear loose from Lineage: CEO
简介BUSAN -- NCSoft CEO Kim Taek-jin declared the company's strategic shift from its traditional ro ...
BUSAN -- NCSoft CEO Kim Taek-jin declared the company's strategic shift from its traditional roots in Lineage, its series of massively multiplayer online role-playing games -- or MMORPGs -- to diverse gaming genres, responding to a downturn in earnings and a shift in gamer preferences.
The CEO made this announcement during an unexpected appearance at the company's booth at G-Star 2023 gaming expo held last week in Busan.
"Our objective is to delve into a multitude of gaming genres that resonate with all kinds of trends in the global gaming industry. Expect to see NCSoft will broaden its horizons in the coming years,” Kim said.
NCSoft's recent financial report pointed to challenges, with a decline in third quarter 2023 earnings. The company reported a decrease in consolidated revenue and a significant drop in operating and net income, primarily due to the waning interest in its mobile Lineage series.
Marking its return after an eight-year absence from G-Star, NCSoft unveiled a slew of new titles, stepping away from its predominantly mobile gaming focus, which has historically generated over half of its revenue.
The new game lineup from NCSoft included a diverse array of genres for different tastes. "LLL" is a looter shooter, blending the excitement of action shooting with elements of role-playing. "Project G" is the company’s first real-time strategy game, where planning and tactics are crucial. "Puzzup Amitoi" caters to puzzle enthusiasts, while "Battle Crush" is an action-packed brawler game, emphasizing combat skills. "BSS" is a collectible role-playing game, inviting players to build and enhance a team of characters.
But there is not a complete exit from NCSoft's bread-and-butter format. A standout release is "Throne and Liberty," an MMORPG for PC and console, set for a Dec. 7 release. The game promises to differentiate with dynamic environments and large-scale guild wars.
Battle Crush and BSS are nearing their release early next year, with later releases for LLL and others.
The diversification reflects a growing trend in Korea, where console gaming is gaining ground. Four of NCSoft's new games are primarily developed for consoles, marking a departure from its mobile-centric recent past.
Kim also noted the changing demographics in gaming, indicating a shift toward genres and styles that were once considered niche.
"We're seeing a new generation of gamers shaping the market. Genres once considered niche are now hitting the mainstream. As player preferences evolve, so does our game development, and we aim to be at the forefront of this change,” he said.
북한이 김정은 북한 국무위원장의 딸 김주애를 ‘조선의 샛별’‘여장군’ 등으로 칭하며 내부적 우상화를 시작했다.자유아시아방송(RFA)은 지난 23일 노동당 조직지도부가 군사정찰위성 ...
A 64-year-old Buddhist monk has been given an 18-month prison term for assaulting a woman after she ...
South Korea, the United States and Japan joined forces for an unprecedented aerial exercise south of ...
S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
병역거부 대체복무자 첫 소집해제…1173명 전국 교정시설에
Touting historic ties with Saudi Arabia, Yoon calls for new partnership for growth
12 suspected cases of lumpy skin disease in cattle under investigation
S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
Hyundai partners with Saudi firms to build hydrogen mobility ecosystem
- Xi says 'willing to make bigger contributions' in letter to NK leader
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- Jungkook welcomes 'golden moment' of his life with 1st solo album
- KITA chief touts Ireland’s business
- Define Seoul beckons Seongsu
- The branch of South Korean left blaming Israel for Hamas attacks
- Asiana Airlines to sell cargo biz to smooth merger
- Paris Baguette inks sponsorship deal with Paris Saint
- Viviz goes all out for 4th EP ‘Versus’
- S. Korean literary giant Jo Jung
- [Herald Interview] Food trade chief confident of winning official recognition of Kimchi Day in US
- Rising political stars, big names likely to run for 2024 general election
- What phrase do you want to hear most from your partner?
- N. Korea makes 3rd spy satellite launch attempt
- Yoon heads to UK for state visit, eyes deeper security relations
- Democratic Party banners targeting young voters stir controversy
- Number of youth addicted to online gambling rises
- King Charles welcomes South Korea's president with state banquet, mingles with K
- Oman celebrates 53rd National Day, calls Korea reliable ally
- BTS’ V, actor Yoo Seung
- 6·25 따발총, 구식 불새
- Hyundai Steel starts new campaign promoting recycled steel
- Prosecutors seek 30
- Jungkook holds live stage event for fans
- T1, Faker unrivaled at 2023 LoL World Championship
- 김기현 “한동훈 자질, 대한민국 위해 잘 발휘될 수 있게 할 것”
- 이준석 “가해자 따로 있는데…인요한 ‘대리사과’ 황당 제안”
- 김영진, 원희룡 인천 계양을 출마설에 “이재명과 맞대결 환영”
- S. Korea, Britain vow closer ties in nuclear energy sector