S. Korea to hold remembrance ceremony for independence fighter at center of ideological dispute
简介The veterans ministry said Tuesday it will hold a remembrance ceremony for revered independence figh ...
The veterans ministry said Tuesday it will hold a remembrance ceremony for revered independence fighter Hong Beom-do this week to mark the 80th year since his passing amid a heated ideological debate over his ties to Soviet communist forces.
The ceremony will take place Wednesday at Daejeon National Cemetery in Daejeon, 139 kilometers south of Seoul, where his body lies at rest, with some 100 people set to attend the event, including Veterans Minister Park Min-shik, according to the ministry.
Hong has recently become the subject of the ideological dispute after the defense ministry said in August it was considering relocating his busts from the Korea Military Academy and its headquarters, both in Seoul, citing his past record of collaborating with Soviet forces.
The push for the relocation has sparked fierce debate over its legitimacy, with the opposition Democratic Party and advocates for independence fighters strongly protesting against such considerations.
Hong is a historic and highly symbolic figure in Korea's fight against Japan's 1910-45 brutal colonial rule.
As a top commander of Korean independence forces, he spearheaded victories in battles against Japanese forces, including the Battle of Fengwudong in Manchuria, China, in 1920. The following year, he moved to the Soviet Union, seeking refuge from Japan's forces.
He was forced to relocate to current-day Kazakhstan in 1937 under then Soviet leader Joseph Stalin's policy, along with many other ethnic Koreans. He died at the age of 75 in the Kazakh region of Kyzylorda on Oct. 25, 1943, two years before Korea's liberation.
In 2021, his remains were repatriated to South Korea and buried in the current location. (Yonhap)
김태효 국가안보실 1차장은 북한의 최전방 감시초소(GP) 복원에 대응해 우리 GP도 복원할 계획이라고 27일 밝혔다.김태효 국가안보실 1차장. 연합뉴스김 차장은 이날 KBS 뉴스라 ...
The Korea Artist Prize has returned after the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea ...
South Korean trading company STX said Monday that it has signed a trilateral agreement with its part ...
- S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- 송영길 "어린 건방진 놈" 한동훈 "운동권 했다고 우월한 척"
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
- Top chefs gather to create innovative dishes with Korean ingredients
Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
[Herald Interview] Kiss of Life continues to describe different aspects of freedom through music
Korea Artist Prize returns after overhaul
신당 추진 이준석 ‘천아용인’과 회동…김용태 “작전 이해 간다”
China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
- [Herald Interview] Korea
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Yale sociologist and BTS fan researches K
- Hyundai E&C completes design of new hydrogen plant
- Defense minister rejects plans for J
- LX Holdings CEO promoted to president
- Mama Awards stays in Japan for 2nd straight year
- [Our Museums] Explore plaintive and joyful melodies of Korea at Arirang Museum
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- 'Justice will prevail': G
- [Korean History] In 2004, serial murderer with goal to kill 100 was stopped at 20
- S. Korea's rising problem: unemployed youth giving up on job searching
- 병역거부 대체복무자 첫 소집해제…1173명 전국 교정시설에
- Korean delicacy of live octopus leads to choking death of 82
- Genesis BBQ opens 11th store in Vietnam
- S. Korea to hold remembrance ceremony for independence fighter at center of ideological dispute
- S. Korea formally accepts WTO deal on fisheries subsidies
- [Today’s K
- Drugs smuggled in through Incheon Airport surge since pandemic: lawmaker
- Opposition leader returns to party duties, calls for Cabinet overhaul
- KT, Hyundai E&C, Saudi’s STC team up for digital infrastructure
- Monk sentenced to 18 months for assaulting woman who refused sex
- Coway ramps up environmental protection
- [KH Explains] Samsung
- Billlie opens a new world in 'Side
- N. Korea blames US for instigating Israel
- Korean Air to retain Asiana workers after takeover: sources
- US missionary descendant picked to rescue troubled ruling party
- Seoul shares open higher as US Treasury yields slide
- Korea reports 7 more cases of lumpy skin disease, total now at 17
- Mirae Asset seeks generational change in leadership reshuffle